Name: Cedar Grove
Archtechtural Design: RDC Fine Homes
Interior Design: Laura Henderson Interior Design
Georgie Award Finalist Categories:
- Best Single Family Detached Home over $2,000,000 - Rammed Earth Demonstration Home
#1 - Best Single Family Detached Home over $2,000,000 - Rammed Earth Demonstration Home
Innovative and functional design:
- Insulated Rammed earth construction.
- South west orientation for passive solar gain.
- Passive shading incorporated into design.
- Rooftop vegetable garden.
Architectural character including integration of the project into its setting was achieved by:
- Staggered roof lines provide passive shading and striking contemporary design while reducing massing.
- U shape design of home provides unique views of house and landscape from every room yet affords maximum privacy.
Environmental considerations include:
- Triple paned Fiberglass low E Argon windows.
- Beetle kill timber locally milled for rafters and decking. High grade off cuts used for trim.
- Air tube to pre condition fresh incoming air.
- Air tight envelope measured at less than 1 air change.
- Structural concrete floors polished as finished floors.
- Built Green enrollment
- Innovative high efficiency heating and ventilation technology. Expected to out perform conventional systems.
- Greywater heat recovery.
- Sustainable Green Low VOC materials
- Energy Star Appliances
- Recycled materials used for marble counters, stairs, driveway pavers and Rainstone siding.
Challenges faced during the building process:
- Installing and commissioning new technology for mechanical systems
- Municipal acceptance of rammed earth construction
Creative use of space and functionality of floor plan:
- Kitchen design includes comfy family space, eating nook and work space.
- Bedrooms on lower floor to maximize benefits of rammed earth for humidity and air quality and passive cooling in summer.
- Living areas on upper floor maximize natural daylighting and show off timber construction.